Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Good Day to Die Hard






   


         I remember back in 1988 when I saw one of my favorite action movies of all time. It was a simple story of a cop, who just happens to be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. The movie took place in a building and featured some great one-liners and plenty of action. “Die Hard” changed action movies and added a new action hero to the world, and movies have not been the same since.
    John McClane (Bruce Willis) has to be the most unlucky guy on the planet. It seems everywhere he goes he has to stop some terrorist group from stealing or destroying something. This time he finds out his son Jack (Jai Courtney) has been arrested in Moscow.  John being who he is decides to travel there and see what he can do. Well things are not what they seem and Jack is actually a C.I.A. agent there on a mission. It doesn’t take long for John to find Jack and to find himself in another situation he has been in already four other times. No reason to say anymore, because it is just a lot of shooting and explosions, and no story whatsoever.
     I know what the “Die Hard” franchise is. They are just mindless movies that are enjoyable and fun to watch. Well for the most part they have been. The peak was definitely “Die Hard” and since then it has been all downhill. Sure the second one was ok, and the third one, I mean hey it had Samuel L Jackson in it. I could even say the forth one was watchable, but let’s just say that they should have stopped while they were even slightly ahead. “A Good Day to Die Hard” should not be included in the “Die Hard” series. There is nothing there that reminds you of any of the previous films except Bruce Willis and the McClane name. No great one liners, well except if you love McClane yelling how he is on vacation every fifteen minutes, and no story on top of that. Written by Skip Woods and Directed by John Moore, who I wonder how can they can sleep at night after killing this franchise. I have enjoyed the “Die Hard” films, but they went one movie too far. There is an old saying that all good things must end. Well “Die Hard” should have ended with “Live Free or Die Hard”, I mean all I have learned after all these films, is that it sucks to be related to John McClane. Save your money and stay home and watch any of the first three “Die Hard’s”. I wish I had, because after watching this movie I actually did want him to die hard this time.

  Brian Taylor




                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment