Saturday, April 20, 2013

Do you want a Man of Steel, or do you want a man that's real?




          I don’t know what it is, but I can’t stop watching the latest “Man of Steel” trailer.  Maybe it’s the look and tone of the film, maybe it’s the cast, and maybe it’s the fact that good or bad Zack Snyder has always made entertaining films.  Or maybe it’s the desire to see a really good Superman movie, because we haven’t really had one since 1979.  But in the end I think I just enjoy a really good trailer.  The ones that pull you in with interesting visuals and great snippets of scenes that make you want, or need to see them in their entirety.

In this particular case this film pushes the nostalgia buttons with a character that is about to turn 75 years old.  Think about that for a moment.  Besides the ones in novels, can you think of a fictional character that has had that kind of lasting power?  The only time a trailer has rocked me to the core is the one for “Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace”.  When I first saw a young Obi-Wan spinning a lightsaber, I was transported to 1983 watching what I thought was going to be the last adventure in a galaxy far, far away.  I didn’t know how much I missed it.  Now this is not exactly the same thing, the last Superman movie was only seven years ago.  And while it was not the best version Superman that Bryan Singer brought to the screen.  I still enjoy watching it.

Back to the trailer, it feels amazing, and not only hits the nostalgia with the re-telling of the origin of the man of steel, but you also get the great line readings with the images of a school bus going into a river, and the woman saying “My son was in the bus…he saw what Clark did.”  And what is my favorite moment in the trailer where Kevin Costner as Pa Kent cracks when he utters the line “You are my son.”  I still get goose bumps thinking about it.  I’m reminded of my favorite scene in the ’79 “Superman” where young Clark tells Ma Kent that he has to go away, “North.”  The dialogue, the fear of Clark’s future, the beautiful sweeping shot of the field, to the embrace at the end as the John Williams score ramps up.  Goose bumps again.

  When I was a kid I used to love a different scene, where Superman catches Lois Lane, then a helicopter as his theme plays.  Which leads me to the action in the latest Superman.  Zack Snyder style.  Some of it looks to move a little too fast, but if he sticks to his signature slo-mo shots, it will be balanced enough.  We also finally have someone and something (that big octopus looking thing) that Superman gets to fight.  Not a bald human billionaire, the nuclear race, or nuclear man for that matter, and not Richard Pryor.  Superman gets to get unleashed, as the shot of him punching someone, over and over in mi-air.  This may very well be what we were missing all these years, not to mention the fact that Christopher Nolan is in the mix as well.

If you remember, Episode I did not go well for the Star Wars franchise.  But I still have that trailer and now I have the “Man of Steel” trailer.  Will the film live up to the trailer?  I’ll just remember what I learned this year a mere 10 years after Episode III.  There is going to be another Star Wars.

Superman is older than the computer, McDonalds, hula hoops, color television, and jet airplanes.  He is not just a man of steel, he is a man of forever.

--Robert L. Castillo      

No comments:

Post a Comment