Thursday, May 30, 2013

Now You See Me






                                                         



             I always wanted to be a magician. I would picture me in front of an audience wowing them with the tricks I performed, or maybe just to pick up an attractive girl at the bar. Either way it was the performance that would matter. There is something about magic that grabs our attention whenever we see it. I think it is because either we want to believe magic is real or we want to be that one guy who figured out how the trick was done. The question on everyone’s mind after seeing a trick is always the same, “How did they do it”?
           In “Now You See Me” the new film from director Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk) magic and the art of distraction play a big role. Four street magicians, all with a particular talent, are summoned to an apartment in New York and shown something that will change their lives. They come together and form “The Four Horseman”, who are magicians who want to give a little something back to their audience.  J. Daniel Atlas (Jesse Eisenberg), Merritt McKinney (Woody Harrelson), Henley Reeves (Isla Fisher) and Jack Wilder (Dave Franco) are the ‘Horsemen.’ They perform one elaborate trick after another, all while the F.B.I, Interpol, and a former magician named Thaddeus (Morgan Freeman) chase after them. The Horsemen want everyone to keep an eye on them; because in their mind the more they think you see the easier it will be to fool you.
      I think every time you see a magic trick you want to leave with amazement in your eyes, because you just saw something you can’t believe. You play it over in your mind, trying to find the flaw in the trick, or the point you think they fooled you. Well like a good magic trick this story will trick you to think that you know what is going on. The story is fair enough, and the characters you can take or leave, but the twist and turns more than make up its faults. I like to have that moment in movies where I thought I had it all figured out, and then the old curve ball is thrown and I just think to myself, well played Mr. storyteller. “Now You See Me” is one of those movies that do just that. With a great cast and an intriguing story, you will enjoy trying to figure out where the movie is taking you. In a marketplace where sequels and remakes are everywhere you look, it is nice to see there are still some originality out there. I believe there is an old saying that says that everyone loves a magician. Well in this movie you get four of them, so that must mean you should really love this movie. That might not be true, but I know that you will enjoy the ride and you might ask as the end “How did they do that”?

Brian Taylor
     



No comments:

Post a Comment