Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Men of Iron and Steel


          One thing that I’ve noticed reviewing movies over the years, is when you see anywhere from 60 to 100 movies in one year you have a tendency to get very critical of the films you see.  Sometimes if something isn’t “Citizen Kane” you can tend to put it in the class of 'bad' movie.  This can be unfair to movies that have a much different agenda than  trying to be on AFI’s top films of all time. Some just look to entertain you for a couple of hours, or to share an escape of reality with a group of strangers in the dark.  Ok, that sounded better in my head, but you get the idea.  There’s something about watching films together in a group or with someone who feels the same way about movies, and the movie-going experience as you do.

It’s as though I sometimes find myself looking more for the silent connections with who I see the movie with rather than the movie itself.  A shared moment with someone who is seeing what I’m seeing for the first time.  Or in the case of “Return of the Jedi” in 1983 with my cousin on Christmas day watching the film together for the third time.  I live for those occasions where I can share a movie with someone, and this year I was able have those moments several times with my children.

There were the usual movies I took them to where it was solely to entertain them, movies like “Epic”, Monsters Univeristy”, “Smurfs” and “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2”.  Then there were the two great animated films of the year in “Turbo” and “Frozen” where both my children and I were transported to someplace special, and most importantly, together.

I can remember standing in line for an hour with my dad to see “Rocky IV” at the Northwest Theater in 1985.  The anticipation and eventual joy of watching Rocky Balboa beat the giant Russian, and afterwards my dad taking me to Montgomery Wards to get the official “Rocky IV” t-shirt.  That was pretty much a whole day spent together that started with the sharing of a movie, and what was created was a memory that will be with me forever.   

My two favorite movie-going experiences this year involved me seeing “Iron Man 3” and “Man of Steel” with my son.  Growing up loving comic books and all things superhero, now almost 40 years later sharing with my son the origin of the last son of Kyrpton and the further adventures of his favorite Avenger, these are the reasons I love going to the movies now.  To see the wonder in his eyes when he sees Superman take flight for the first time, or when Tony Stark’s 42 Iron Men come to the rescue.  It’s the look I’m sure I had when Darth Vader saved Luke, or when Michael Keaton uttered the immortal words “I’m Batman”.  These are the moments I look for now as a father, I want my kids to have their Star Wars moments, or seeing a future Disney classic that will eventually live in the DVD player for weeks and weeks after it's bought, because it’s worth seeing over and over again.

It’s not something that many people understand, I mean they are just movies, it’s all fiction and none of it is real.  And yeah they’re predictable storylines with guys in silly capes and red boots, but there is something amazing about what we share, and it’s rarely able to be put into words, but it is real and it is important.  To me it’s essential to a young life and the life of a family that it continues, both now and for the generations to come.

--Robert L. Castillo

No comments:

Post a Comment