Thursday, March 20, 2014

Flashback Corner--Children of the Corn


“Question me not Malachai.”

 

The first Stephen King book I read was “Pet Sematary” in 1988.  Four years earlier I saw the first horror movie based on a King short story that terrified me: “Children of the Corn”.  I had caught glimpses at that time of “Salem’s Lot”, “The Shining”, and had seen “Creepshow” and “Cujo”, while they had their scary moments, none of them stayed with me like the children of Gatlin, Nebraska.  From the opening scene where adults are massacred to the sounds of the eeriest chanting music I had ever heard, this movie made an imprint on my fear center like nothing else.

Watching it now after years of horror movies, I can say that “Children of the Corn” is not a very good movie, nor is it particularly scary anymore.  The chanting is still a little creepy, if it were more underplayed it would work better, and the acting by the children is a couple of rungs short of a daytime soap.  There’s jump scares and blood, though nothing gory for the most part.  It pushes the thriller aspect when the interlopers Linda Hamilton and Peter Horton get to the children’s evil little town.  The tense moments are few and far between but he worst is the voice-over narration by Robby Kiger who plays Job.  All he does is describe what’s happening and it removes any surprises, he eventually gets better near the films climax.  Along with the adults the only good child performance is given by Courtney Gains as Malachai, he’s the most terrifying like a Destro to Issac’s Cobra Commander (the cartoon, not the movies).  By the end I was glad it was over as the chanting music lost its sway over me.  This is one of my childhood horror classics that didn’t live up to my memory of fears and it certainly didn’t age as well as something like “The Omen” or “A Nightmare on Elm Street”.  I have to say I will probably never watch it again.  But, I’ll still quote that ‘Malachai’ line to my kids for years to come.

--Robert L. Castillo

No comments:

Post a Comment