Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Before Midnight





                                                             


              Love is the greatest feeling any of us will ever feel. When we find that one that completes us, life’s trial and tribulations seem no match for it. Those in what they consider the perfect relationship understand that love is just part of the equation. Most relationships break down because of a lack of communication, if you can just talk your problems out, you are half-way to solving them. Now I know you are asking ‘am I reading a review for a movie or did I stumble on an advice column?’  Well for the benefit of mankind, I will not be giving any more relationship advice, but I will tell you about a great love story.
          In 1994 Richard Linklater released a little film called “Before Sunrise”. The story was simple, Jesse (Ethan Hawke) meets a girl named Celine (Julie Delpy) on a train and the sparks fly. You can’t help but feel the instant connection from the first moment they meet. They walked around Vienna all night; talking and getting know one another where every minute feels like life, and not a movie. Nothing they talk about feels like it was written, but just normal conversation between two people, trying to get to know one another.
Ten years later, the story picks up in “Before Sunset”. Jesse has become a writer and comes to Paris on a book tour. Celine just happens to live in Paris and seeks out Jesse to catch up with him on his life, and to reminisce on that day ten years ago in Vienna. The story stays the same, it’s just about two people who seem to fall in love and getting to know one another again. *SPOILERS* By this time Jesse is now married and had a son, but his heart has always been with Celine.
In the latest chapter “Before Midnight” We find Jesse and Celine married, with twin daughters. Though they have never married they are together, and on holiday in Greece for the summer. Once again, they are dealing with life and love and show that anything is possible.
Sometimes the hardest thing to talk about is something you enjoy so much. It is so easy to vent about everything you hate about someone or something, but when it comes to praise, words can be lost. That is where I am at with these movies, I enjoyed them so much, I find coming up with the right words difficult. I think the best compliment I can give all three films, is that I never felt like I was watching a movie. The whole time I felt like I was just watching two people getting to know one another, like I was part of a “Twilight Zone”-esque group observing them for some study on relationships.  And that’s part of the reason I watch so many movies.  To be transported by a film, and to feel something at the same time can be an incredible experience.
This is a movie you can watch alone, or with your significant other, and either way enjoy it all the same. This is the kind of love we all want to find, and like this unique yet average couple you are watching on screen, you will fall in love with all three of these films again and again.

Brian Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment