Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What's on DVR? Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man


Guns are meant to be shot Harley, not thrown!”

 

          It’s a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid rip-off, even the title suggests such.  The dialogue and acting are not very good, the villains are not cool or scary, and the story is kinda basic.  But I do enjoy watching “Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man”.

What mostly makes the movie worth watching, or what appealed to me and my brother when we used to rent it all the time as kids was the two leads Don Johnson as Marlboro and Mickey Rourke as Harley.  Their banter made the film watchable, that and the ‘midnight movie’ feel of the whole thing.

The pair along with some friends pull an armored car heist that goes bad when they discover they boosted the latest illegal drug instead of cash.  Then a thin Tom Sizemore and slightly thinner Daniel Baldwin go after them and basically try to shoot them a lot.  Watching it now I do get the feeling that Rourke was trying too hard to be stoic and Johnson was trying too hard to be funny.  It’s a lot less endearing now twelve years later, but I still like most of Johnson’s performance.

Again it’s by no means a great movie but it’s fun for late night watching, which not surprisingly is how I’ve watched it the past couple of times.  That being said I think I’ve exhausted my viewing experience on this non-classic, and I’ll probably never watch it again.  Thanks for the memories guys.

--Robert L. Castillo

No comments:

Post a Comment